Empowering Polytechnic Leaders in Indonesia (ERICA)
About the training:
ERICA is set in the locus of Indonesian higher education system. As of today, there are more than 4,000 higher education institutions across the country where 263 institutions are polytechnics. Leaders, particularly those without formal training and experience in higher education management context, are struggling to improve the quality of polytechnics, making the transformation of the institution a long and steep process. ERICA is designed to accelerate the capacity building of these leaders which, in turn, can speed up the process of improving the quality of the polytechnics in Indonesia, particularly those which reside outside Java and Sumatera.
ERICA took a practice-oriented approach to prepare these leaders to cruise over the highly dynamics, and often abrupt, Indonesian higher education landscape. ERICA is implemented in two phases: the first phase took the full virtual format due to the Covid-19 pandemic and was completed in December 2021. Phase two itook place in Pekanbaru Riau on May 23 – 26, 2022. assuming that the pandemic is well under control and there is no travel restriction from our government. Polytechnic leaders from Java, Sumatera, and Kalimantan, focus on change projects which are unique and specific for their institutions within the four key areas: (i), Leadership and strategic management, (ii) Project management, (iii) Human resource management, and (iv) Quality assurance. These leaders hold various strategic administrative roles which allow them to create impacts in their institutions. The change projects are geared toward finding solutions to the challenges institutions are facing which lead the transformation of the institution to compete in the Indonesian as well as ASEAN and global context.
Expected learning outcomes:
By the end of the training course the participants are expected to be able to:
- To understand the position and competitiveness of private polytechnics in Indonesia.
- To have a solid comprehension on university governance structure and functional management in their institution.
- To have the agility to maneuver through the fast moving higher education environment.
- To make measurable transformation of their institution through the tools provided during the training.
- To implement and evaluate the PAP during various stages of the training as well as to discuss the take-home points.
- To develop partnership and network among participants.
- We are targeting 25 participants to join the workshop. The target group is aimed at newly-elected Directors, Vice Directors, Deans, Vice Deans, and Department Heads of private polytechnics in Indonesia. We put an emphasis on bringing in the participants from private Polytechnics outside Java and Sumatera.
Workshop I; 6th December - 10th March 2021, virtual platform
Workshop II: 23rd May - 26th May 2022, at Pekanbaru, Riau, Indonesia
Muhammad Ihsan Zul
Tatas H.P. Brotosudarmo