Training Quality Assurance Managers in Ugandan Universities on Internal Quality Assurance Systems
About the training:
The National Quality Assurance Training in Uganda was organised by the Ugandan Universities Quality Assurance Forum (UUQAF) under the DIES National Multiplication Trainings (NMT) Programme. The training was organised in partnership with the Inter-University Council for East Africa and the National Council for Higher Education – Uganda.
The training aimed at enhancing the capacity of Quality Assurance Managers in the assessment, establishment and management of Internal Quality Assurance Systems in their respective higher education institutions in Uganda. Training participants were invited to take an active role in this capacity building process by interacting freely with facilitators, mentors and fellow participants in the learning process. Each participating institution (the participants from each institution) were guided to work on a change project to entrench quality in the institution. The change projects were on three key aspects of IQA:
- Creating awareness on quality assurance in the institution by holding awareness meeting or workshop to share information/knowledge obtained from the training to wider stakeholders in the institution;
- Assessment of Internal Quality Assurance (IQA) System of the institutions. The participants were expected to organise and conduct a assessment exercises of their own IQA system;
- Developing and executing a change action for improving the IQA system including establishment of IQA Unit, or development of QA policy, manuals or instruments, review of existing QA guidelines and procedures.
Expected learning outcomes:
By the end of the training course the participants are expected to be able to:
- Describe quality and quality assurance in higher education.
- Understand and appreciate IQA Systems.
- Develop relevant instruments for assessing IQA Systems & Procedures.
- Evaluate IQA Systems & Procedures in HEIs in Uganda.
- Design appropriate IQA Systems & Procedures in HEIs in Uganda.
- Quality Assurance Officers/Directors/ Coordinators.
- Quality Assurance Committee Members.
- Quality Assurance Administrators.
- Academic Faculty Deans and Heads of Department.
Workshop I; 10th November - 12th November 2021
Phase II involved an online engagement of participants with facilitators and mentors on the implementation of a change project. Several online sessions of “The Doctor is in the Room” were scheduled for consultations and assessment of progress between the month of December 2021 and May 2022.
Workshop II: 22nd June - 24th June 2022
Maria Goretti Kaahwa